Laser Treatment for Nail Problems
The most common cause of brittle yellowing nails is fungal infection. Over 35 million Americans have fungal nail infections. Fungi are dermatophytes that feed on nail keratin. These organisms propagate in a warm, dark and moist environment. There is no better place for nail fungus to reside and infect toes than in shoes. Infected nails have yellowing or white spots on the nails. As the infection develops, nails will get thicker, further discolor and fracture. Progressive infection of additional nails is common.
Consider Laser for your nail fungus treatment, an excellent choice for patients who do not want to take oral medications.
Laser Treatment of Nail Fungus
The use of laser in podiatry is not new. For years lasers have been used safely on the foot for several conditions. Although the laser is FDA approved for the temporary clearing of nails, new lasers are now being used to treat nail fungus. These lasers have some advantages and are approved by the FDA for many other treatments but laser treatment of nail fungus is considered an “off label use”.
The ability of the 1064 laser energy to gently heat the nail bed makes it ideal for the safe and effective desired result of nail clearing. The effects of laser energy on nail fungi are two fold and understood in relation to cellular chemical reactions within fungal cells that are necessary for fungal growth and survival. The photo-thermal effect changes cellular metabolism and at increased temperature (42°C), cell components are damaged and metabolism is altered. The full effect of laser energy is not fully understood but there is thought to be a photo-chemical effect that further compromises fungal cell enzymes and proteins. Lipids in cell membranes are changed in structure and their function of protecting and regulating the internal environment of the cell becomes further compromised resulting in fungal death and nail clearance.
Laser is an excellent choice for patients who do not want to risk taking oral medications.
Introducing FOX Laser – the perfect in-office podiatry laser system.
FDA cleared for several applications:
Nevi • Plantar Warts • Matricectomies • Incision • Vaporization • Spider Veins • Telangiectasias • Hemangiomas • Coagulation
The Laser treats toenails discolored and thickened by toenail fungus with a much higher success rate than traditional treatment methods. Laser treatment is virtually pain free and patients can resume their normal activity the same day.
- Long Pulsed 1064 Laser Treatment for Nail Clearance (Onychomycosis) *
- Provides Clearer and Healthier Looking Nails with fast and vertually painless treatment
- New Diode Technology Sets the Standard for Portability, Power and Ease of Use
- No anesthesia is required
- There are no known lasting side effects (unlikely with oral medications)
- There is no visible harm to the treated nail or adjacent skin
- Socks and shoes can be worn immediately after the procedure
- Nail polish can be applied after treatment
- There is no “recovery“ period after the procedure
There are several treatments for nail fungus (onychomycosis). The most conservative is to just thin down the nail every 9 weeks and apply topical medications but this type of medicine does not work well if the whole nail is involved.
Oral medications (Lamasil) can be prescribed but elevates liver enzymes and can cause liver damage. Women are warned not to take oral medications if they are going to become pregnant.
- Most insurance providers do not cover the laser procedure and thus it is an out of pocket expense.
- You must apply a topical medication to prevent re-infection daily.
- Additional treatments may be necessary for severely infected nails.
- No guarantees regarding treatment results as such cannot be given with use of oral medication (Lamisil).
- Results are not immediate, it will take time as the new nail grows out.
- Our low cost includes the consultation, laser treatment, professional topical medication.
- Follow up visit and if needed a re-application of the laser to the toenails (when the nails are severely infected).
Podiatry Care for the Entire Family
Wonderful Facility!!! Came in for something I though was minor and actually found out I broke my foot in two places!!! Dr. Feld and staff were extremely helpful and talked me through the treatment and got me fitted for one of there boots. Everything healed very nicely and if I ever have any additional problems with my feet I know who I will be calling!!
The expierence that has happened to me with my toe, was a success. Mr. Fled knew exactly what to do and was extremely awsome. He cared about my health all the way, would recommend anyone for this place. -Dakota Northerner
I have been coming to see Dr. Feld and his staff for many years. Every time I walk into the office I am greeted with a cheerful smile and "Hello" from the staff members and never wait more than 5 minutes before I am brought back to be seen. They work around my schedule and answer any questions I may have. I highly recommend!!
HEEL SPURS & PLANTAR FASCIITIS
NEW PATIENT FORMS